Saturday, August 04, 2007

The Art of DJ-ing

Last night I was at a very fun wedding reception where the guests never stopped dancing from the very first song. You know how at some weddings the bride and groom are constantly trying to pull people out onto the dance floor because they know how much they paid for the DJ or band and they don't want the music to go "to waste"? Well, that was not the case at this one - if anything, no one wanted to stop dancing even when they were trying to shut things down.

What struck me were the songs that got the most reaction:

3. Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes

Wedding gift: $200
Cab to the church: $20
Seeing grown men crouching down on the floor during the quiet part of this song and then having a reeeaaaallly hard time getting back up when the "LET ME GO AH-ONNNNN" part comes on: Priceless


2. Like a Prayer by Madonna (dance mix version)

Back in the day, my friend DY and I used to have a choreographed dance to this song, but I refrained from busting it out last night as, alas, DY wasn't there and it just wouldn't have been the same. That being said, I had taken off my shoes by that point in the night and was hopping all around just like Madonna did in the last half of video. Needless to say, I can barely move this morning.


and

1. Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi

What is it, exactly, about this song that makes everyone go crazy as soon as they hear its first notes? I will tell you what it is - it's that, deep down, we're all rooting for Tommy and Gina. Because, I mean, they're already HALF-WAY THE-EERE!


Can you tell the majority of the people there were in their mid-30s, or what? But a wonderful time was had by all. We were just a tad disappointed that the happy couple didn't end up choosing We Built This City by Jefferson Starship for their first dance. They had previously claimed that "knee-deep in the hoopla" was one of the best lyrics ever, but I guess when it came right down to it, they realized that that song is quite hard to dance to. Or perhaps they read this!

- e

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just had to bust the dance out for J. :) And thanks, I'm going to have that annoying Jefferson Starship song in my head for days!!

Oh, btw, I know all the words to the ladybug picnic song now. August really digs it!