Tuesday, January 01, 2008

... In With the New

Happy New Year!

After spending twelve straight hours running around like a crazy freak cleaning my condo in preparation for our New Year's Eve guests, I was able to kick back last night around 8 PM with my husband and our friends. We went out for a delicious dinner at one of our favorite restaurants, and then came back to play 80s Trivial Pursuit whilst switching among the various count-down shows. MTV's was particularly sad--Tila Tequila as one of the hosts--are you kidding me??? There was something wrong with our satellite dish feed so CNN wasn't coming in and I was freaking out that I couldn't catch a glimpse of my boy Anderson. But I freaked out even more when I couldn't remember that the name of Suzanne Vega's "Do-Do-Do-Do" song is technically "Tom's Diner." I'm slippin', peeps, I'm slippin'! Needless to say, my husband and I didn't win Trivial Pursuit, though my husband did recall that the cheesy fantasy movie that Tom Cruise and that chick from Ferris Bueller's Day Off starred in was Legend, not Labyrinth, as I had thought (that one had David Bowie).

But enough about 2007--I don't like to dwell on the past. Today it's 2008, and I've decided that "2008 is gonna be great!" That phrase will be my official motto for the year. Extremely original and complex, I know. But I'm a sucker for rhymes, what can I say?

While I normally do not have a motto for each year, I have actually been creating annual themes for quite some time. I've had The Year of Enlightenment, The Year of Productivity, The Year of Positivity... etc., etc. How it works is that I decide upon a theme with the help of my friend DY, and then we meet up at some point in early January and write out "rules" for the year that revolve around the theme. While the list of rules isn't typically referred to much during the course of the subsequent twelve months, it does help to physically write down the goals at the outset of the year--and it's fun to dig up the papers later on and gauge how well we stuck to the theme.

Are you ready for this year's theme?

Drum roll please...

It is The Year of Prioritization. Not quite as catchy as the other ones, but important nonetheless. I chose this theme because over the past few months I've been significantly busier than I ever was when working for The Man, and I therefore need to focus in on how to best spend my time, rather than running around chasing every idea that pops into my head. Until I find a way to visit the magical Island on which my beloved show Lost takes place so that I can jump around in time (that's my theory and I'm sticking to it!), there's only 24 hours in each day, and I need to use the hours that I'm awake more wisely.

Fear not, however, because continuing to post daily on this site will remain a high priority for me, as long as leaving comments on this site becomes a higher priority for you. Hee, hee.

Here's to 2008... have you heard? It's gonna be great!

- e

No comments: