Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Crack ain't the only thing that's wack...

Love is blind.
Earlier this week, people around the world could hear Whitney Houston belting out, "And I.............eeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiii no longer love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" to Bobby Brown. Or perhaps she didn't because she has no more energy left after taking every drug known to mankind.

Yes, it really isn't surprising to hear that these two are getting a divorce, is it? They had proven to be a dangerous combination early on in their union, and a series of domestic violence claims surfaced against Bobby over the years.

Then came the stories of drug use that seemed to get worse and worse. Bobby has not one, not two, but three mug shots from his various arrests. And of course there's also the infamous "Crack is wack" interview that Whitney did in 2002 with Diane Sawyer. My friends and I (shout-out to MK) still laugh about it to this day. I'm sorry, but when you are trying to convince people that you aren't on the crack rock, you don't use: "Where are the receipts? Show me the receipts!" as an excuse. Because, um... I don't think Whitney's friendly dealer is giving out receipts for crack Walgreens-style. Also, what irony is there in this statement, which was once again trying to prove that she does NOT do drugs: "Crack is cheap. I make too much for me to ever smoke crack. Let's get that straight, OK? I don't do crack. I don't do that. Crack is wack." It was like she was about to add: "But I WILL do x, y and z drugs, because those are for rich people."

I remember sitting in my friend's apartment in grad school with a few people watching the interview, and all of our mouths were just gaping open. It was truly unbelievable, and so bad it was good.

But not as unbelievable as this picture comparing Whitney before and after the height of her fame:


This picture: The Anti-Drug

It really is a damn shame.

Last year, the drug-lovin' duo returned to the spotlight out of nowhere with a short-lived, yet highly talked about reality show, Being Bobby Brown. If you haven't heard about the infamous bathroom scene, well then you can see it here.

And then pictures were released (seemingly by Whitney's sister-in-law) of Whitney's trashed bathroom - littered with drug paraphernalia.

All I could think over and over again during the course of Bobby and Whitney's marriage was, "Their poor daughter." Though it looks like they threw her a nice birthday party ...

Here's to hoping that both Bobby and Whitney get some serious help. I was never really a fan of either of them, but it is especially painful to watch how far Whitney has fallen. And I did like The Bodyguard.

They better not get back together, but I have a bad feeling they will.

- e

No comments: