Monday, February 25, 2008

Dance Like There's No Tomorrow

Back in the day, one of my favorite pastimes was recording videos on Yo! MTV Raps and then playing them back in slow motion so as to memorize the dance steps. I even convinced DY to learn "the Kid 'n Play Kick Step" with me, which we triumphantly performed in front of amazed crowds of fellow teenagers more than once. I also would make Nerdy P and our respective younger brothers learn choreographed moves during family get-togethers.  Next came dance routines as a cheerleader and then performances for variety shows in my sorority while in college.  


But now it's been a long time since I've even thought about busting out some moves. However, that may all change soon, as I've been re-inspired by Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew.  I knew I would love this show when I saw a commercial for it, and after finally catching an episode, I can say that I was right. It's basically a bunch of "dance crews" competing against each other, and from what I've seen so far, they are all amazing. Most of the clips I found online were really long, but here are a few short ones to give you a taste of what the series is all about (though they really don't do it justice). The second group is on roller skates!










The show airs Thursday nights at 10 PM EST, but they are playing a ton of reruns all of the time, so check the web site I linked to above if you are interested in catching up. I would probably break a bone or throw out my back if I taped the show and then tried to learn the dance moves at this point in my life, but it is highly entertaining nonetheless.

The lame thing is that Randy Jackson was nowhere to be found on the episode I watched. Why do they have to have his name in the series' title, then? Egotistical much? The irony is that now that we've seen Randy attempt to groove with his guitar for about 2 seconds in Paula Abdul's new video, we know that he's not much of a dancer. Sorry, but I gotta keep it real, dawg!

- e

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I could still do that one. We should try it out next time we see eachother. :) I also remember trying to learn some Janet Jackson moves that were really difficult. There was definitely some Bobby Brown involved, too. That's perhaps why, to this day, I know all the words to "Every Little Step"...

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I just watched most of an episode yesterday that was rerunning on MTV. I was just surfing through the channels, bored, and I found it and got caught up in their amazing dancing. I knew nothing about it, really, just happened upon it, but WOW! They are incredible.