Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Wearable Towel: The Next Snuggie


I hardly ever watch live TV, so I didn't hear about the Snuggie phenomenon until after its infomercials had been on the air for months. And if it hadn't been for some downtime during a vacation last year, I wouldn't have ever known about the ShamWow. (I also was introduced to The Aqua Globes during that same trip.)

But now there's a new phenomenon hitting the nation, and I'm happy that I learned about this one right away. Recently I was at my parents' house, the TV was on, and I caught the ad for The Wearable Towel. If you haven't seen it yet, here it is:



My knee-jerk reaction was "I want one." But upon watching the commercial again, now I'm embarrassed that I ever considered paying $20 for such a ridiculous invention. Why in the hell do I need to run around the house in a towel with armholes in it? When I get out of the shower, I dry off and immediately get dressed. And if for some reason I don't want to put on an outfit right away, there's this little thing called A ROBE that works wonders.

Maybe I'm in the minority and there are a ton of people out there who keep their towels wrapped around them for a significant period of time after they bathe. So if they want to use The Wearable Towel in the privacy of their bathroom while they're getting ready, fine. But the ad had to go one step further and show people casually sauntering down their driveways to pick up the newspaper in this ridiculous toga-looking contraption. And don't even get me started on the preposterous "beach scenes."

If I see someone in a bright red terrycloth towel along the shores of Lake Michigan this summer, I am going to go up to them and ask if I can take a picture of them and post it on my blog because I think what they're wearing is soooooo trendy, cool and futuristic. And then we can all have a good laugh at their expense.

3 comments:

Katie Kat said...

HA HA HA!!! That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. My office mates and I have an ongoing joke about the Snuggie and whether it is completely stupid or weirdly comforting (I say stupid). I, like you, thought "Wow, that might be cool, instead of my robe I can just wrap this around me." But, isn't that what a robe IS? Except for the sleeveless-ness, a robe is a piece of cloth you wrap around you after a shower, JUST LIKE THE WEARABLE TOWEL. And I laughed OUT LOUD when the well muscled dude went out to get the paper. "OH, Hi Jim, Hi Jane! I'm just picking up the daily news in my toga towel. See you at the club later!"

No way. Thanks for making my day!

Anonymous said...

i ordered one, when i shave i can't wear a robe because it covers my neck and im a bit chilly after i dry of so i think it would be great to be able to put on a towel, because i hate trying to keep it from unfolding and falling of me...

hey is alexander the great could do it so can I...lol

Anonymous said...

omg e, my mom has the *funniest* new book light... it goes around her head like she was going to go mining in a cave... it's hysterical ... i'll have to send you the name of it once i stop laughing :D

*kristYn from CALI*