Tuesday, July 22, 2008

e's Favorite Things: Magic Shell

As you may remember from a post I wrote last summer about my love of Peapod's home grocery delivery service, I rarely go into a grocery store. Recently, however, we had a rental car and therefore made a quick stop at our local Treasure Island to pick up a few things.

That experience made me all the more certain that physically shopping for food is bad for your health! Because what did I spot in one of the displays at the end of an aisle? Magic Shell ice cream topping. I immediately picked it up and showed it to my husband, with a big smile on my face. "No," he said. I put it back.

But I could not deny that the desire to be reunited with one of my favorite childhood treats was overpowering my will to eat healthier.

I. Had. To. Have. It.

So I tacked a bottle on to my Peapod order last week and haven't looked back. I've eaten Magic Shell every day, sometimes twice a day, ever since. And I'm not going to stop.

If you've never had this most wonderful of inventions, it's basically just chocolate syrup that you pour over ice cream... but after a few seconds it hardens. Just like some of the toppings they have at Dairy Queen for soft serve cones. Anyway, Magic Shell just flat-out rocks. The chocolate is actually a little bitter tasting, but I love it. I used to eat it by the spoonful. I used to be a master at making designs over my ice cream with it. I am sure I will be again at the rate I'm going.

I was talking about my renewed obsession with my friend DY, and she informed me that Hershey's got into the game with these toppings that harden and offers not only a chocolate flavor, but also a Reese's Pieces and a Heath Bar flavor, which you can see at the bottom of this page. For now, however, I'm sticking with Magic Shell (made by Smucker's), because it has not failed me yet. But I did look to see if Smucker's made any other flavors, and lo and behold, they also have Caramel, S'mores and Turtle Delight in addition to two types of the traditional Chocolate topping. Good God, I need to get some of the S'mores kind RIGHT NOW.

Anyway, I don't mean to be a bad influence on all of you, but I highly recommend trying Magic Shell if you never have, because if you like chocolate, it is a great addition to the typical boring bowl of ice cream. Just don't tell your doctor on me... unfortunately they haven't made a low-calorie, low-fat version just yet...

- e

5 comments:

Allison said...

And don't put it in the refrigerator or it all hardens and you don't get any more magic shell. :( Sad times.

(P.S. I started reading your blog thanks to Long Live Locke!)

Anonymous said...

e,

Guilty.

Pleasure.

Yum.

The Other E

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh as soon as I saw it...makes me think back to when I was a kid and my friend tried mixing Majic Shell w/ milk...Alas...it did not work! heehee :)

Anonymous said...

That's it--I'm running out tomorrow and getting my very own MAGIC SHELL! One more bad habit I don't need. But, it does sound good. :)

Anonymous said...

if u put it in the frig and it hardens just run it under hot water and you get magic shell back