Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lethal Weapon Indeed. Or, what in the HELL is wrong with Mel Gibson???

I debated for a few days about whether or not I should even talk about the wackjob that is Mel Gibson, and his latest antics which entail getting arrested for drunk driving and then releasing a tirade of anti-Semitic remarks upon the Jewish officer who pulled him over (in addition to sexist comments directed at the female officer who was also present).

Guilty.What is wrong with this man? I will tell you what is wrong - it's that the proverbial apple does not fall far from the tree.

In case you were not aware, Mel's father has pretty much gone on record stating that the Holocaust was a work of fiction and/or greatly exaggerated. In researching for this post, I learned that there are actually a group of people out there, entitled Holocaust Deniers, who share this opinion. There are few times when I'm just utterly speechless, but I really don't even know what to say about these people.


(Pause...)



(Pause...)





OK, I thought of something... Have these people not been to the Holocaust Memorial Museum? Have they not visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam? Do they perhaps not WANT to because then they would risk being convinced of something they don't want to accept? Well I have been to both places, and without trying to being crass... I mean, I just don't understand - do these people think that the videos, the pictures, the accounts - do they think that that was all just "movie magic" or "creative writing" or something? Unbelievable.

Yep, I'm crazy.Back to Mel's father... he has also described elaborate conspiracy theories involving Jews controlling everything, including the Vatican.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy Whhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

When pointedly asked if the Holocaust happened by the New York Post during his promotional interview for The Passion of the Christ , Mel did not provide a very clear response... in fact, he used tricky language often associated with the most sophisticated of Holocaust Deniers.


I am just baffled by all of this. And ashamed I ever saw Lethal Weapon.

So he gets arrested a few days ago, and now all of a sudden all eyes are on the police department, and a lot of sketchy things are being uncovered. Not only about possible cover-ups of this most recent incident, but about others as well. This site has the most comprehensive account of the situation that I could find.

Mel has since released an extensive public apology, and is reportedly going to go to rehab, though his choice of programs is raising eyebrows. I have to laugh at his apology... he is an ACTOR. That is what he DOES. HE ACTS. He is only sorry that: 1) he got caught, 2) that it's going to hurt his career and 3) that he may have to cut back on the drugs and alcohol for a bit. Don't let him fool you... grown adults just don't change that extensively when they were raised to believe certain things so fully and completely. Mel himself said, "My father has never lied to me." Oh, that same father who said the Holocaust wasn't really that bad???

I hope, quite frankly, that this man's career is absolutely destroyed and that we never need see or hear of him again. I also hope that Apocolypto, which looked like it was going to be absolutely horrible anyway, does not get released. If it does, and if you go and see it, I will track you down and find you and slap you!

Do not give this man any more money!?!?!?!

- e

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen

Anonymous said...

I am not defending Mel Gibson but as someone who has worked with substance abusers all i can say is the ABUSE of drugs and alcohol can damage the brain. It can make people do and say things that are not part of their personality.

Remember all the nutty things Robert Downey Jr did before he got his self together. Rober himself says in GQ 2000 :

"I look back on my career and I think, I'm afraid the embarrassing has a serious edge on the admirable"