Monday, March 31, 2008

Hope for Iron Man?

This weekend I saw 21 (I'll do my write-up on it soon...), and the new trailer for Iron Man ran beforehand. I had seen the original preview of Iron Man a few months ago, after which my husband and I looked at each other and said, "That is going to be AWFUL."

It's another movie version of a comic book series, and Robert Downey Jr., of all people, is playing the superhero. Gwyneth Paltrow (of whom I've never been a big fan) and Terrence Howard are also in it... but perhaps the worst thing about both of the trailers is the use of the "Iron Man" song... you know the one: "I... AM... IRON MAN!" It's by Black Sabbath (not like I knew that before I just googled it... I'm not exactly of fan of theirs, either), and despite the fact that it's supposed to be all scary and heavy metal, it just comes off as goofy.

But I have to say, despite its lame soundtrack, the second trailer at least showed some promise and was much better than the original version. All comic book-based movies, with the exception of the Christopher Nolan Batman series, are somewhat cheesy... they kind of have to be, right? So once I remembered that, I had a lot more patience for and interest in Iron Man.

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'll see it when it comes out May 2nd. It would be kind of fun to wait in line on opening night with all of the geeky fan boys--they always make for the best theater audiences.

It will probably come down to how sick I am of the "Iron Man" song by that point in time... if they over-hype this movie, I'll probably have to pass. Otherwise, I may give it a shot.

Here's the newer, better trailer:



- e

2 comments:

Unknown said...

After some of the comic book movies to come out lately i can totally understand your distrust of them but i think Christopher Nolan showed that they can be executed perfectly.

First off Robert Downey is the perfect actor, think about it he is troubled and add that he drinks and drugs and also comes of as a quick witted type of person. He is Stark just without the Ironman persona.

And i know this sounds really nerdy but when i first saw that trailer and they started playing Iron man i got goosebumps all over.

Hopefully this movie coupled with Batman begins will put Superhero movies back on track.

Anonymous said...

Iron Man rocks! Along with Batman, he is one of two superheros that don't rely on some magical aspect to do what they do. Iron Man and Batman could conceivably exist, technically. That is what makes them cool to me. If you don't think suits of robotic armor can happen, then maybe you should Google "SARCOS". Their exoskeleton suits are being introduced to the Army SOON. (BTW they are obviously not in the habit of updating their website as often as they update their technologies, so look up the video that is floating around.)