Thursday, March 06, 2008

Reality Roundup

Lots to report in the world of reality TV... the most important news being that The Hills finally returns to us on March 24th. Not a moment too soon!

The Hills

Have you seen the previews? They are ridiculous... they totally hired the ultimate stereotype of a Frenchman to be Lauren's love interest. He's like, "Luh-RUUHN, have you seen the II-fel Toww-wuh?" while wearing a beret and sporting a skinny mustache and smoking a cigarette and donning a scarf and horizontally-striped black and white top AND drinking wine!

Check it out here... it's about a minute and a half, and Frenchy comes on at around 30 seconds. Sorry for the poor quality... it's the only one I could find...



OK, so maybe he didn't have on a beret and scarf and whatnot... but still, how staged was that? It's going to be AWESOME!!! In another preview they're showing, Heidi asks Spencer to move out. Unfortunately we know from their constant presence in the gossip magazines that they are still together. He is THE WORST?!?! Needless to say, I didn't miss him at all.


[The following all contain references to the latest episodes of each show, so don't read them if you aren't caught up...]

Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites

As I've mentioned before, I didn't know any of the "Favorites" except James, Amanda and Fairplay. But man, do I wish I had caught Ozzy's season now. That guy is a machine--he's incredible. He is seriously super-human, I've never seen anything like it. It's even crazier when you consider that he's not that big of a guy, either. Unlike, say, The Incredible Hulk on the "Fans" team. He creeps me out. I have been enjoying the season so far and am very curious to see if anyone falls for Ozzy's faux immunity idol.


The Gauntlet

I'll say it again: Where in the hell is CT?!?! He must make it to the very end or else they'd be showing much more of him by now. It looks like next week Frank tries to provoke him while they've both been drinking, which might be fun to watch.

At the beginning of the season I was really rooting for the Rookies, because they were just so obviously and blatantly outmatched. Now, however, I am sick of them. Yes, the Vets have bigger, stronger and more people, but they are also smarter and actually take the time to plan out strategies. Frank used to be one of my favorites on Real World: Las Vegas, but he's annoying the heck out of me now--he has changed a lot, and not in a good way.

I don't blame Coral for leaving, either. Everyone was trying to make her out to be the bad guy for screwing the Vets by quitting (which made them have to kick out another person they didn't want to), but it's not like they were being straight with her or being good teammates to her. I never thought the day would come when I would stick up for Coral, but this time, I do. It will be interesting to see if she ever is on one of these shows again, since I think Evan nailed it at the end: she's the old generation and just doesn't fit in anymore.

I still have a weird feeling that the Rookies are going to win the whole thing, though.


American Idol

I almost stopped watching American Idol after last week's episodes because I really think this year is awful. Ryan straight-up LIED to us... without me even watching the first several seasons, I know for a fact that there's no way this season has the "biggest talent ever" like he keeps saying over and over again. You can't brainwash me, Ryan! Stop trying!

The vast majority of contestants are bad. There's no other way to say it. While I like the little tiny smiley dude (David), I do hope he follows Simon's advice and picks a more upbeat song next time. I continue to like Chikezie, and can at least stand the Australian guy. But everyone else I can hardly bear to watch. Even though my husband thought that one dude busting out "Hello" by Lionel Richie on the electric guitar was awesome, I just can't deal with that guy--he seems SO arrogant and cocky. He reminds me of someone I don't like and I can't figure out who it is.

As far as the women go, my favorite is Brooke, the Carly Simon chick. But she seriously is way too skinny and it's kind of painful to look at her. She's always trying to hide it with flowy tops, but pay attention next time and you'll see what I mean. Everyone else is, as Simon would say, forgettable. I particularly don't like Kady--I think she has ZERO personality--even on her clips.

And what is UP with Paula this year? First off, her new word is "tenderness" and that is bugging the crap out of me. Secondly, she's definitely whacked out this season... the last two episodes were really bad--she was basically incoherent.

Why do I watch this show again?

Oh yeah, because nothing else is on.


Randy Jackson Presents America's Best Dance Crew

This show takes all of ten minutes to watch if you forward through everything but the dance segments on stage. I really like it. Tonight, all performances are going to be set to classic Michael Jackson songs, and it looks really good--I'm excited for this one.

Check out the commercial here... it's on tonight at 10 PM EST!



- e

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you not a Project Runway viewer? How 'bout Top Chef - that's starting up again soon...and in CHICAGO!

maikib said...

i can't wait for the hills... i'm obsessed and buy any magazine with lauren (or anyone else from the show, for that matter) on the cover. now that i'm presently hanging out (indefinitely in la-la-land) i'm on the look-out. of course, i'm not cool enough to go to the places they hang out...

and idol.. i'm with you. i love the carly simon chickie.