Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I Want David Cook To Win... But Then Again, Not Really.

So we've arrived at the American Idol Season Seven Finale. After it's over, the only shows I watch that haven't gone on summer break yet are Top Chef and Best Week Ever. I guess I'll finally get to catch up on all of my magazines...

But before Idol ends tonight, I just want to declare that I definitely like David Cook the best. By far. No contest. However, after thinking about it for a little while (and after logging at least 40 votes for him last night), I realized that it would actually be BAD for his career if he won.

See, the title of "American Idol" doesn't really do much for you if you're a rock singer. It would make DC lose "street cred" if he won the competition known for sending pre-teen girls into crying fits over the likes of a floppy-haired Sanjaya. (Speaking of Season Six, the two finalists last year--Jordin and Blake--absolutely pale in comparison to the Two Davids... it's almost embarrassing how much worse last year was.)

Anyway, I stopped calling to vote for David Cook (though the fact that I was actually getting through probably doesn't bode well for him anyway) after I realized that the crown of "American Idol" fits better for Bound-for-Disney Boy. Plus, I really don't want to think of what his dad would do if his meal ticket didn't seal the deal.

I would hope that David Cook would end up more successful overall in his singing career, despite not winning the AI competition. Maybe he was thinking the same thing last night, when he acted a bit subdued for someone who was supposed to be pulling out all of the stops.

So I'm resigned to the fact that, especially after the love-fest from the judges last night, David Archuleta of the Eternal Dopey Smile will be victorious. (But in a sinister way I'm still hoping that David Cook wins, if for no other reason than the possibility of seeing an "instant reaction" shot on Archuleta's dad's face. Take off that stupid cap already!!!)

One last thing, if they do not bring back this guy for tonight's show, then I will protest.

- e

6 comments:

Scott said...

Two things:

1)I agree with you, I like DC more, but DO NOT want him to win. The CD's the winners alway put out are crap poppy CDs. DC needs to lose so he can rock is emo face off.

2) The 2nd picture you posted of just DC, he has a striking resemblence to Jimmy Fallon. Maybe if the singing biz is too tough, he can resort to singing parody songs and always staring into the camera.

Anonymous said...

Um, when recounting the shows that you watch that haven't yet gone on summer hiatus, you forgot about LOST! How could you forget about LOST?

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I hate David A (and his idiot father). My friends and I all said it would be so much better for DC to come in 2nd and have a successful career like Daughtry. HOWEVER, the thought of having to see and hear DA for the next year on every show, etc was too much to bear. I voted as much as I could for DC. And sounds like I had a different experience than you, b/c I could barely get through and I tried all the way until 11pm!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

We wanted David A to win---even David Cook thought he (DA) won.

You can't blame the kid because his dad's a jerk.........

Pecma said...

Good call on the the dude in the cape! He finished off his 15 minutes last night.

Lockman said...

e-
I am agreeing with you on the "street cred" thing...I never stopped to think about it...I guess it was that I hated David A. so much....that kid could be on the Mickey Mouse club for the rest of his life....his album is bound to have a cover of R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People"..seriously he seems doped up all the time....
but Carrie Underwood did win and she definitely went right back and got her country cred so hopefully it will work out for him...clearly he is the better entertainer and performer...David A might have a bit of an edge in terms of actual singing but most rockers don't have the greatest of voices...they can just rock....

also how funny was caped brother forever when he just kept singing and they cut to a commercial...good times...
Hope vacation treated ya well...glad to have ya back...