Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Oh-Oh, Oh-oh-oh... NKOTB is Back!

I forgot to Tivo The Today Show while I was in Mexico the past few days, but thanks to the power of YouTube, I was able to see the reunited New Kids on the Block performance from Friday. The video is not the best quality in the world, but you get the gist of what went down:



I used to be a huge NKOTB fan... I even went to one of their concerts back in the day. My friend DY and I got the tickets for free, so how could we refuse? But seriously, I would've paid for it if I had to. I don't remember much about the show except that I thought it was good, and that my eardrums were annihilated from all of the girls screaming.

Now those same girls are thirty-somethings and were in the crowd at the concert in New York... kind of funny. I contemplated getting tickets for the New Kids' upcoming tour, but they're playing at my most-hated concert venue here in Chicago (Allstate Arena), so for now I'm going to pass (unless I somehow score free tickets again).

Their new single, "Summertime," isn't half bad. The best is that they still are doing their boy band moves, which is key. It's a much smarter strategy for them to just embrace who they are (and used to be) than to try to show that they're all "mature" by refusing to do the choreographed dances and things that made them famous in the first place. All that would do is alienate their remaining fan base.

Here is the band performing "Summertime" on The Today Show:



I really hope they are going to release a video for this song! I'm going to need to hear it a few more times before I decide whether or not to shell out $.99 for it on iTunes. (I'm betting that I will, though.)

- e

2 comments:

alohab said...

I asked Mikie if you were perhaps an NKOTB fan, I thought that you just may have been. We too, were big, big fans :). After reading about your Disney adventures, I commented to Mikie that I think we would be best friends if we lived in the same city. She agreed that the 3 of us definitely have a lot in common. I really enjoy reading your blog!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!