Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Feed Your Head

So last night I went to the Radiohead concert... like Madonna, they played mostly new material that I didn't know, but I still enjoyed it. Also like Madonna, they didn't play the one song I wanted to hear - "High and Dry"... but my expectations had been set before the concert that they basically never play that song live. However, they did play "Idioteque," my second favorite Radiohead song.

Good things about the concert:
- The crowd
If I had to make a wager, I would bet that no less than 80% of the audience was wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt (as was I). So, I definitely felt more "at home" with this crowd than at Madonna, where people got a little more glammed up, and I was still wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt. The remaining 20% broke down like this:

  • 10% - guys in jeans (including band members)
  • 5% - girls wearing summer-y skirt outfits because they were on dates
  • 3% - guys wearing slightly nicer pants than cargos or jeans
  • 2% - people totally inappropriately overly-dressed like they were going to a semi-formal dinner

- Thom Yorke's crazy dancing
Let us consider this verse:
Work like you don't need the money;
dance like no one is watching;
sing like no one is listening;
love like you've never been hurt;
and live life every day as if it were your last.

I love that little saying, but now let us focus in on the second line: Dance like no one is watching. That would about sum up how Thom, the lead singer, moves. He is a dancin' fool. While he DOES have rhythm sometimes, at other times he just breaks out into what would appear to a non-fan to be an epileptic fit. However, he is a rock star, so he can pull it off. But it makes for quite a challenge when you are trying to watch him with binoculars because he is just wiggling and jerking across the stage with no apparent plan. I also noticed that he kind of looks like a character from Lost. You be the judge:

Those pictures don't do the similarity justice. But trust me, they look alike!

Bad things about the concert:
- The volume
I had on earplugs and it was STILL loud.

- Not enough "old" songs
I completely realize that I'm beginning to sound like a grumpy senior, but seriously, why can't these artists play what they know people want to hear? There was only ONE song played from "The Bends" album - ONE! That is one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time. So, that was disappointing.

All in all, though, if a band can keep my attention when playing songs that I mostly do not know, then that says something - and both Radiohead and Madonna did this.

No more concerts for a month now - so tomorrow's topic will be something new.

And for those who are as obsessed with these two people as I am - Anderson Cooper interviews Angelina Jolie tonight on CNN on Anderson 360... looks like it will rock.

- e

No comments: