Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Sesame Street Memories



A few days ago, when I was searching YouTube for the clip of Kenny Rogers singing "The Gambler" on The Muppet Show, several other classic clips popped up, which reminded me of the good old days... the days when The Muppet Show was on the air and Sesame Street did NOT have that annoying Elmo character.




With each clip I watched, I then thought of others that I just had to find. I was struck by how awesome Sesame Street was - so many aspects of the show were geared toward adults. Take "The Letter B" by The Beetles, for example. Little toddlers weren't going to make the connection between the buggy band of muppets and the real Fab Four. Nor would the kiddies appreciate all of the famous guest stars doing funny takes of their most popular songs. If I included everything I found that took me on a fond walk down memory lane, I would be pasting in links forever, but here are some of what I consider to be Sesame Street's greatest hits:

- Letter B by The Beetles. Now THIS is how to learn the alphabet!

- Subway! My el-riding experience would be much more enjoyable if people busted out in song like this.

- Rubber Duckie. One of the all-time greatest Sesame Street songs.

- C is for Cookie. I have a t-shirt with "Me want cookies!" on it - some things just stuck with me, what can I say?

- Johnny Cash sings "Nasty Dan" with Oscar. The Man in Black lays down the law.

- I Love Trash. Oscar was always one of my faves.

- The Count and the Cookie Monster. Cooperation at its best!

- 'Eleven Twelve' by the Pointer Sisters. I apologize for the fact that you will have this song in your head for the rest of the week.

- The Ladybug's Picnic. Ahh, the memories of my mom singing this to me when I was just little bitty e bring a smile to my face.

- The Alligator King. A quick but memorable moral lesson.

- These are the People in Your Neighborhood. I'm trying to imagine how this song would go if they were describing the residents of my current neighborhood...

The verdict is in - Sesame Street was the best, and they just don't make 'em like that any more. Barney? Teletubbies? The Wiggles? Crap, I say! If I ever have kids, they will be watching DVDs of old-school Sesame Street so that I, too, can be entertained.


- e

No comments: