Tuesday, April 29, 2008

e's Favorite Things: Keanu Reeves in the "Rush, Rush" Video


I've been meaning to mention this for a while... perhaps the anticipation for tonight's installment of American Idol reminded me... but I recently downloaded Paula Abdul's 1991 song "Rush, Rush" from iTunes. Yeah, I said it! I paid 99 cents for it and I'm not ashamed.

First off, I like the song, but secondly, the video is one of my favorites of all time. Because my boy Keanu Reeves is in it. I have always loved Keanu (long live Bill & Ted!), but he is at his best in "Rush, Rush." Like most of what Paula says on AI, this video makes no sense. What year is it supposed to be? Why are they jumping around in time? Why is everyone hating on my man? It doesn't matter, I guess... because, as Keanu says, "It just reminds you that we're all alone, that's all."

You know you want to see it again! Around 3 minutes and 10 seconds is where they have their nonsensical conversation.

I LOVE IT.




After watching this, I found it really striking how neither Paula nor Keanu has aged... and I honest to God don't think either has had any (if much) work done (at least on their faces).

Perhaps now is the time I should tell you that I actually saw Paula Abdul in concert. It was "The Club MTV Tour" and she was with the likes of Tone Loc and Milli Vanilli (who I saw a second time in concert with Nerdy P). And yes, the show did rock and I know you are jealous.

I really think that when Paula releases the second single off of her new album that she MUST reunite with Keanu for the video. Do you think he would do it?
Or would he just say: "Whoa. No."

- e

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, i have a lot of respect for keanu--he lives a pretty low-key life and has had a lot of personal tragedy in his life. but that video is crazy, though ... those rapscallions, acting up at the planetarium. shame on them. i did read on wikipedia that rush, rush, was preceded by "more than words" and followed by "unbelievable" on billboard ... that really takes me back.

Lockman said...

I love me some Milli Vanilli...I personally don't care who was singing but they should put out another album.....I still have my cassette tapes of their first album and then their second album they released which had remixes and some new remakes of Money and something else....I don't care..they are on my ipod and will be...people laugh when they hear but then join in the milli vanilli fest in the car or wherever....

Keanu actually had more lines in that video then most of his movies...ha....
good stuff e...keep it up....

p.s. were you ever actually in that Top Chef show...I didn't see a but then again I might have been watching the wrong show...

Anonymous said...

e,

Do you remember the very first Keanu Reeves MTV spots where he is walking around with a "hoody" and bouncing a basketball plugging mtv or something ??? Does that ring a bell ?

The Other E

Wanders said...

Well, Paula and Keanu are no Natalie Wood and James Dean... but then again, James Dean and Natalie Wood are no Keanu and Paula. This video makes absolutely no sense if you haven't seen Rebel Without a Cause, which they are completely immitating, except without any acting. Or Mr. Magoo/Thurston Howell III as James Dean's dad.

maikib said...

i'm cracking up-- go you, proving your love for keanu and paula! i must say, i have always loved k.r. don't know if it's the hawaiian connection, the brooding silence (translation: one-note acting style), or just general hottiness. but i do love me some keanu. :)

Lula! said...

Right there with ya. I remember when this song/video came out & one of my stoner friends was all, "Dude, this song freakin' ROCKS!" And then turned on Ned's Atomic Dustbin, as if he'd never betrayed his "uncoolness" by professing love for "Rush, Rush." Good song...and I don't have to download it off iTunes, 'cause yeah...I already have it uploaded, off my very own copy of Paula Abdul's Greatest Hits. Woo-woo!