Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Keanu's Reaction to Paula's American Idol Blunder: Whoa.

How can I NOT comment on last night's American Idol, especially since I reminisced about the better, simpler (yet equally as confused) Paula Abdul of 1991 only yesterday?

I am so glad I rallied around 11 Pm last night to forward quickly through the final five's Neil Diamond performances. Typically I don't even watch the songs in their entirety, I just want to get a taste of each one and then hear the judges' comments. So I'm really pleased I didn't skip through the "blunder heard 'round the country"... Paula critiquing TWO performances by Jason Castro, when in fact he had only sang once at that point.

You can bet your sweet bippy that conspiracy theorists have run amok across the Internet this morning. Had the producers written Paula's notes in advance for her? Was Paula going from her take on the dress rehearsals (which she's admitted before to watching)? What in the heck happened? Does this incident undermine the show's credibility?

Writers who were actually on the scene can comment on the chaos better than I ever could, so I encourage you to read Entertainment Weekly's account of the mayhem here. Even on TV you could tell that Simon was internally freaking out... I can't imagine the producers' reactions!
I wish I could've witnessed it myself.

Rest assured that they're going to address Paula's goof tonight--they pretty much have to or the rumors are going to spiral out of control that the show is either rigged or the judges have canned responses that aren't even based on the contestants' actual performances.

I will throw one theory out there that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere: What if Paula can actually time-travel? We cannot possibly know what she's capable of... this is a woman who danced with a cartoon cat and made it look effortless! She probably went to the future, saw Jason's second act, and then jotted down notes to save herself the effort later. If I could time-travel, I would've done the exact same thing.

A few other comments on the show last night... Brooke picked the ultimate worst song ever: "I Am, I Said."

Consider these lyrics:
"I am," I said.
To no one there
And no one heard at all
Not even the chair.

NOT EVEN THE CHAIR?!?! Are you kidding me?? Neil Diamond couldn't have taken 5 seconds to brainstorm other words that rhyme with "there"? (For the record, there are many!) Awful.

I do wonder if Neil is going to perform tonight (I'm assuming he is, but didn't watch the end of the show so I'm not sure if Ryan gave us a teaser or not). If he does, what's he going to sing? If he does "Heartlight," another awful song because it's based on frickin' E.T., then I will be cheering. Because it will be so bad that it will rock.

I hope Jason Castro goes home. The weird faces he makes when he sings (and his eyebrows) are freaking me out too much. We shall soon see... But as far as I'm concerned, David Cook has already won. At least Paula got one thing right last night when she said she felt like she was looking at the American Idol after his performance.

- e

2 comments:

Craig said...

Glad to see this post. Idol is really just something that's on in the background while I'm doing something else, like playing a game and my wife is fastforwarding through 50+% of it, so when Paul said that, I thought I had missed something and was really confused.

I don't really buy into the ideas that the show is fixed (if so, they would have picked better winners in certain years). I think the most reasonable explanation for the whole thing is that Paula had dipped into Jason Castro's stash before the show. Was she also desperately looking for a bag of Doritos?

maikib said...

haha-- i'm laughing out loud. it was really strange. i am subjected to live t.v. b/c my parents don't have tivo!! it's amazing how lazy you get when you have tivo; i miss half the things i'm watching b/c i've gotten so accustomed to multi-tasking and being able to rewind, and now i can't. in any case, i was so confused and kept looking at the clock thinking, 'okay, how the heck did i miss the fact that they sang both songs...' until it was all sorted out. i just thought that she was really was on drugs, but the conspiracy theory is even better....

david cook should win, but i'm not sure sure, after the disappointing booting of carly... think this is a popularity contest, and not a singing one... i'll feel somewhat redeemed if jason or brooke finally say goodbye. i'm so over them!