Friday, April 04, 2008

There's One for You, Nineteen for Me


I spent a good part of the day yesterday finishing up my taxes and preparing to mail them out. Not surprisingly, I found myself humming "Taxman" by The Beatles.

I thought it might be one of my favorite Beatles songs, but then I spent five minutes really thinking about it, and decided it wasn't.


Here are my five favorite Beatles songs, off the top of my head (and in no particular order):

For No One
Ticket to Ride
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Magical Mystery Tour
Paperback Writer

I'm kind of iffy on whether or not "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" should make the cut, but it popped into my mind, so it's staying for now. I reserve the right to change this list!

You can't talk about favorites without listing least favorites, so here are the Beatles songs I never did like:

Girl
Michelle
Lady Madonna
And I Love Her
Hey Jude

I know many of you are probably thinking, "What? "Hey Jude"??!?!" But what can I say, I've just heard it way too many times, and I think it's definitely too long. The only time I liked it was when I saw Paul McCartney in concert in 2002--it's a little different when a huge stadium is singing "Nana-na-naaaah" together.

(By the way, if you want to check out some VERY "old school e," here's the write-up of that concert I did back in grad school. It's kind of funny because Heather Mills was in the audience, and they were engaged at that time. We all know how that turned out...)

So there you have it. I'm going to go mail my taxes and listen to my Beatles collection on my iPod on the way, so I'm sure I'll have changed my mind about my "favorite song list" by tomorrow.

- e

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Favorites:
"In My Life"
"A Day In The Life"
"Nowhere Man"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"Across The Universe"

Least favorites:
"Hello Goodbye"
"Yellow Submarine"
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
"The Long & Winding Road"
...and the worst ever...
"Ob La Di, Ob La Da"

If I could just pick the second side of "Abbey Road", from "You Never Give Me Your Money" to "The End", that would be my favorite song...the "Abbey Road" Medley is the best rock music ever recorded!

Jenni said...

Have you seen or listened to the Beatles LOVE music from the Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas? The way they remastered some of the songs is truly phenomenal, and the way they performed Lady Madonna made it one of my favorite Beatles songs. (Even though I didn't like it all that much before.) If you don't have the CD, I recommend it highly, and while I wasn't all that impressed by the actual Cirque du Soleil part of the LOVE show, you could not beat the music...still amazing after all these years, to a daughter of an original Beatles fan. :)

Erika (aka "e") said...

Jenni -

Oh, yes, I have the "Love" CD... actually bought in while traveling through New Zealand. I did see the show as well and posted a write-up on it last summer here:

http://according-to-e.blogspot.com/2007/06/fab-four-and-love-beatlemania-in-vegas.html

(or click on "Beatles" or "Vegas" tags on the right column and it will be in one of those posts...). I still didn't like Lady Madonna in the show, but it was better than the original version. That pregnant chick freaked me out for some reason. : )

To CC - I also like all of your favorites and agree with your least favorites as well. Ob La Di might have to move into my least favorites, too... forgot about that one.

I also realized that I really like "I've Just Seen a Face," which I never even heard before seeing "Across the Universe."

- e

Lula! said...

Taking your suggestion I just added "Across the Universe" to my Netflix queue. Can't wait! Saw "LOVE" at the Mirage last April...loved every minute of it. But I gotta say..."Martha, My Dear," from the White Album, is my all-time favorite by the Fab Four. And I've always loved "Help," but after seeing those Cirque guys do the skateboard stunts it has now secured its position behind "Martha..." Good, good stuff.

Jenni said...

That's so funny, I was there at the end of June last year too, and sitting in the very back row, which I agree was much cheaper and I had a great view. :) Could you see anything at all during Within You Without You with the big sheet pulled up over the audience?